I have a warm laugh, an unflagging sense of humor and a friendly disposition. I am passionate about enabling people to reach their potential. More than anything, I'm motivated by meaning and enjoy wholly diving into things that matter. I am always open to new opportunities and love to help problem-solve. I make time for people who reach out to me, so please feel free to do so.
I have an eclectic background that includes living and working in four countries and seven US states, and extensive travel in 25+ countries and across the US. I've tried my hand at a ton of different things because—fuck it—life is short. Currently I'm new to the startup ecosystem in New York but I'm grabbing it by the balls and finding new ways to make myself useful (StartupBus, coworking, Meetups, etc.). I've done the same in other fields, including high-needs public school teaching, non-profits, immigrant and refugee services, cooperative housing, and activism.
As a supporter of social and environmental causes, I believe one of the most urgent global problems is the loss of indigenous languages and cultures. I've long been looking for a good excuse to work in the Amazon with an indigenous group, so if you know of something wild like that, definitely reach out.
I co-founded Pure Cure Dental Technology in 2010. We are the originator of the concept and process of removing toxins and allergens from resin-based dental devices. Our patent-pending Pure Cure Denture Detox® line of biocompatible denture products enable denture wearers to remove toxic and allergenic substances from their denture safely and affordably. We have also offered denture detoxification as a laboratory service for dentists.
My founding team was privy to a little-known health problem in the industry and used that knowledge to research and develop a market solution.
In my role as co-founder, I am, or have been, responsible for:• Product development
I am the founding editor of New Worker Magazine, the digital publication produced by the global community of people who work from coworking spaces, makerspaces, and collaborative workspaces. We cover topics related to the new economy and the changing workforce, and recently CBS News featured us in a segment on shared workspace. We launched in May 2014 and enjoy a highly engaged global readership.
█ Visit http://newworker.co
• November 2014 — Article in Medium: Financial aid hack: Keep your scholarships secret or you'll never see a dime
• July 2014 — Article in New Worker Magazine: Creating value through crowdfunding and collaboration, an interview with Luka Piškorič
• June 2014 — Article in Freelancer's Union blog: Get the best out of coworking without having to join a space
• June 2014 — Article in New Worker Magazine: What the hell is a new worker?
• June 2014 — Article in New Worker Magazine: Turn your coworking space into a crowdfunding powerhouse
• May 2014 — Article in OuiShare Magazine: Massive collaborative potential for coworkers worldwide
• May 2014 — Article in New Worker Magazine: iRegular Project’s gorgeous, inspiring use of collaborative design
I've been doing freelance front-end web design and development for a few years and I continue because—no joke—I love to design and play with CSS at 4 in the morning. With Design Strategist, I do web design/development, content writing, and content strategy for artists, freelancers, and small business clients.
█ Visit http://designstrategist.co
In my client-focused role, I am responsible for:• Working with creatives and small business owners to articulate their value proposition
• December 2014 — CBS This Morning: http://www.cbsnews.com/news/co-working-spaces-popping-up-around-the-country/
• October 2014 — Deskmag (interview) “The Coworking Community Expands with New Worker Magazine” by Amanda Gray
• August 2014 — The Story Exchange: "Don't let your mind hold you back" by Candice Helfand
• July 2014 — Final Call: "Minority teachers abandon classrooms" by Stacy M. Brown
• May 2014 — Shareable (interview) “New Worker Magazine launches today” by Cat Johnson
COWORKING + COLLABORATION
I love the coworking space I work from and am a big fan of the coworking movement and the collaboration that can arise from it. Last January I represented US coworkers in a live webinar series put on by Open Coworking and was a co-host for an event put on by Coworking Community NYC. Watch the video here: Coworking Core Values Talks #1: Collaboration. I am also the founding editor of New Worker Magazine, the publication for and by members of coworking spaces globally.
STARTUP + TECH COMMUNITY
I participated in StartupBus this year, a whirlwind trip where 30 people "build a startup from scratch at 60 miles per hour" on a bus heading to South By Southwest Interactive in Austin, TX. On the trip, I formed a team with 5 excellent new friends, focusing on an issue that's near and dear to my heart: data awareness and enabling people to take back ownership of their personal information from across the internet. Check out Datalize.me.
TRAVEL + PHOTOGRAPHY
I've visited 400+ cities in 25+ countries and have traveled through most of the US either for fun or on speaking tours. I've lived and worked in seven US states and four countries. I have a brief travel photography portfolio here: (returning soon)
NONPROFIT SUPPORT + FUNDRAISING
I'm an active supporter of social/environmental causes and have worked with and co-founded a number of organizations over the last decade. For Rainforest Foundation, I raised thousands of dollars by combining crowdfunding with donation matching. I sourced donors to double supporters' donations and then put it to the crowdfunding community to test it out. Visit the CrowdRise fundraiser page here: http://www.crowdrise.com/doublerainforest